Tuesday 4 September 2012

Exhibition: Karolina Szymkiewicz - A Study of Dance

Leeds Art Library, 23/08/12

This was an exhibition of drawings rather than photography, but I really liked the way the artist had depicted movement in her drawings. It tied in well with the In the Blink of an Eye exhibition I'd seen at the NMM with it's explorations of movement.

The drawings were the pencil equivalent of using slow shutter speeds and flash to show movement but still have a pin-sharp subject. It was the first time I'd seen movement portrayed this way outside photography, and it got me thinking about trying to capture dance in a similar way. I also like the idea of combining photographs with pencil drawn movement.

Part of the work was displayed in an Artists Book, I was interested in this as a concept.

No comments:

Post a Comment