Tuesday 4 September 2012

Exhibition: In the Blink of an Eye


National Media Museum, Bradford, 15/08/12

This was a rather fleeting visit, being more of a family excursion than a study trip, but I saw a few interesting works. The exhibition was concerned with the relationship between both photography and film, and movement.

Part of the exhibition demonstrated photographers attempts to freeze time, from the methods used by early photographers such as Roger Fenton to hold people still for long enough to be sharp in the long exposures necessitated by the technology of the time, to photographers such as Eadweard Muybridge and Harold Egerton's work making visible events that are too quick for the human eye.

Perhaps obviously, another section showed the use of slow shutter speeds to show movement, I liked Roy Robertson's 'Fulcrum'.

The exhibition featured the prototype of Tim Macmillan's 'Time Slice' camera - as featured on the BBC's 'Tomorrow's World': http://bit.ly/h7UkRm
I was interested in the possibilities of using multiple cameras to take simultaneous photo's of a subject from different angles.

I was very pleased to discover that as a student I can make appointments to see any part of the museums 3.2 millions photograph collection. Now I just need to think of what I'd like to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment